Have you ever traveled over seas and came home to an outrageous phone bill with high roaming costs? Are you tired of being bound by long contract agreements? Would you like to try out various carriers and switch between them with ease? If so, then you will be interested in learning about unlock iPhone 5!
Understand The Terminology: Jailbreaking vs. Unlocking
People have been unlocking and jailbreaking their iPhones for awhile now, but there is still some confusion regarding the difference between these two terms.
- Jailbreaking is when you modify your phone using software that frees your iPhone from the limits imposed by the phone carrier. A jailbroken iPhone gives you access to a larger variety of apps and customization features. There are other upsides to jailbreaking your iPhone, but that is a discussion for another time.
- Unlocking your iPhone 5 allows you to jump back and forth between providers. In a typical contract, you are bound to a single provider for 2 years, and it can be difficult and costly to get out of the contract.
Why You Should Unlock Your iPhone 5
There are some great upsides to unlocking your iPhone 5.
- Unlocking eliminates roaming charges. Any overseas traveler can attest to the hassle of dealing with roaming fees. You can put an end to roaming charges with an unlocked phone 5S/5. You simply purchase a local SIM card, put it into your iPhone 5, and poof! No roaming charges!
- Unlocking allows you to test the waters. No more being tied down to a plan that you don’t like! With an unlock iPhone 5, you can test drive various providers. Try one for a month or so, and if you don’t like it, you can easily switch to a new one. Now you can try them all out before you decide which is right for you.
Good Reasons to unlock iPhone 5
The iPhone 5 is certainly one of the most talked about and most well-received of the iPhones out there. With dozens of more features than the last model and a plethora of many apps and features compared with its competitors, it is sure to be one of the most advanced and the most loved phones out there these days. There is a reason why it is the most coveted smartphone in the world today. Almost every famous celebrity has an iPhone!
The iPhone series has been one of the most celebrated handsets in recent memory. It annually releases a new version – at times, every 6 months. This means that people who are hooked with the iPhone look to upgrade every time there is a new one (unless a person cannot afford to do so). This also means that having some customization privileges with a phone is one of the main concerns that iPhone users have.
In fact, some people go to some lengths to unlock iPhone 5, which begs the question that every new-user to an iPhone 5 might want to ask: Why?
First of all, it would be best to first define what unlocking is. To unlock iPhone 5 is to take away the limitations that the Apple Company has restricted upon it. By unlocking the iPhone, the user can have more freedom to install and download new apps and software that have never been made available or compatible to the iPhone 5 before. Because of this, unlocking should really be given a lot of thought to.
Simply put – unlocking an iPhone removes all the limits that it once had. It gives users the complete freedom to customize an iPhone and make it more for “him” or for “her”. It breaks the norm that Apple has set for the iPhone.
If you always wanted to have the freedom to have your iPhone more suited to your taste and style, having it unlocked is your best option. A lot of people have turned to unlocking their iPhone 5 in order to further maximize the functionality of their phone. If you’re at that point where you’re still unsure whether you want to do it or not, you should read along and find out exactly why you should unlock your iPhone 5!
The great things that come with unlocking iPhone 5
There are almost countless of ways why to unlock iPhone 5 is probably the best decision to make on such a phone. Here are a few of those really cool perks anybody with an iPhone 5 that has been jailbroken can have:
- Use of a different browser – Though Apple allows other browsers to be installed on the iPhone 5, the main or default browser still remains the safari (which is Apple’s browser). In so many times, this tends to cause more than a little bit of frustration to users. With a unlock, setting other browsers for default would be a definite possibility.
We all know that Google Chrome is the main browser being used these days. And of course, Apple wouldn’t really put Google as the main browser because it is in one way a competitor. Other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox can also be used if you unlock your iPhone 5. The advantages of having different browsers is the speed that it offers and also a better overall search engine – especially if you use Google Chrome. So if you want to have the freedom to use any browser you want, unlocking your device is a great idea.
- Emulators – There are a lot of people out there that would agree that the games for the iPhones that the Apple app store provides are not really that good. You only have a few notable games such as Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Temple Run etc. At best, they could be mildly entertaining, at worst, they could be annoying. With a unlock, one can install emulators for such consoles as NES or SNES that would enable the user to play great timeless games like Mario and other greats.
You can go back to your roots and play those old school games that you grew up to love. With the great graphics that the iPhone 5 is capable of giving, you will be greatly amazed with the games that you can play through the emulator.
- No more annoying lock screen – Though generally harmless, the iPhone has only a standard slide-to-unlock Lock screen which sometimes can get from slightly more work than just pressing a button to getting my screen unnecessarily greasy. With an app, one need only press the power button to unlock. It gives you great flexibility with how your phone operates. It will save you a lot of time and give you less of a hassle in life.
This innovation also somehow patterns with the new models of phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Blackberry 10 series. iPhones that are not unlocked are really at a disadvantage at times because of the lock screen, especially when you are in a rush. It is unfortunate that the Apple has not implemented it as a feature in its own.
- More icons – With a unlock, one can opt to put on more icons of apps on the dock of the iPhone, with this, navigation and multi-tasking, which was not much of an iPhone’s strength can be done easily. Talk about making your life easier – this gives you an easier phone usage experience because of the convenience it brings!
No further doubts needed
With all the perks mentioned and so many more, people who use the iPhone 5 should really look to unlock iPhone 5 and see the great features and software that could easily be awaiting them. Though there are those who would not really want to dive right into the unlocking water, their minds are sure to change when they see just how much freedom and convenience it brings.
How To Unlock Your iPhone 5
There are several ways to unlock your iPhone 5. Sometimes, your carrier will unlock it for you if you meet the qualifications. You can also try going to a rival carrier. They are often happy to unlock a phone carried by a rival company. Or, you can unlock your iPhone 5 easily yourself. Just follow these simple steps:
- Jailbreak your iPhone. In order for you to unlock your phone, you must have one that is jailbroken.
- Access Cydia and add resp.bingner.com. Find Sam Bingner’s SAM program and install the package.
- Click on the icon for SAMPrefs.
- Go to the Utilities tab and select De-Activate iPhone.
- Access Method and click on By Country and Carrier.
- Click onto More Information and copy your IMSI number.
- Click the tab, Spoof Real SIM to SAM.
- Access the main SAM menu and change to Manual and put in the IMSI
- Connect the phone to iTunes to reactivate your iPhone.
- Disconnect your iPhone and disable SAM.
- Then reconnect your iPhone 5 to the computer. You will see that iTunes tell you it cannot activate the iPhone.
- Don’t worry, but close and reopen iTunes.
- This time iTunes will recognize your phone and activate it for you. Thus, your iPhone will be unlocked and will stay that way no matter what you may want to do with the phone.
Now that you are aware of the pros and cons to unlocking cell phones, the laws that govern it, and the methods for it, the choice is clear that you should immediately unlock iPhone 5 to gain the huge benefits of doing so!